Artworks - Oil Painting - Chinese Opera
Friday, September 14, 2012♥
6:43 PM

Chinese Opera, 2011, Oil Painting
Series of progress

For this work, it was done in conjuction with our SOVA syllabus last year on the Nanyang movement, focusing on the Liu Kang style in commemoration of his hundredth year.

Basically, we went through a series of his artworks and we were supposed to emulate his style and work from there.

Hence, in line with the Nanyang style subject matter, I chose the subject matter of a woman in Chinese opera costume. Since the Nanyang style focuses on the exotic and more cultural aspects of the local flavour in Singapore, I decided to do this as I recalled having seen Chinese Operas live in Singapore in some neighbourhood areas and it stuck to me. Nowadays we rarely see such occurrences. I figured while Liu Kang focused more on Bali, Indonesian cultures, I would go toward the Chinese culture.

I adopted a portrait as Liu Kang had featured portraits with rich cultural embellishments as well.

Labels:

1 comments

Comment! (: