Artwork - Disguise
Friday, September 14, 2012♥
6:58 PM

Pride of Disguise, 2011, Oil on Canvas
As part of the Sec 3 EOY Examinations, we had to choose amongst some themes to work upon. I chose disguise.

Having only painted in watercolour last year, I felt that I had lacked exposure towards oil painting.With some dabbling in digital painting, I felt that I had some experience with colouring, though not with the real thing. However I felt that I should take this chance to enrich myself and try something different.

My painting depicts a seemingly human figure all dressed up, applying make up. Why 'seemingly?' the peacock feathers at the tail that peak out signifies her supernatural non-human element, like a demon fox disguising as a human. Why do I not use a fox? I have attempted and tried, but I figured a peacock's tail is much more iconic and it implies pride.

Humans all have pride. Because of that pride, we dress up, put on make up, or other forms of psychological defenses and barriers to the extent of wearing a fake 'mask' when dealing with others. The subject matter here may be using make up, but it insinuates how people actually package and present themselves to others while masking the ugly sides of them. And that is the disguise.

Looking back at this painting one year later made me notice a few things - how inadequate my oil painting skills were. Working on it, it seemed to be the picture of my ideals. But right now, the flaws and areas for improvement are glaring.

Hopefully I'll have more oil painting opportunities in the future to better my skills.



Labels:

0 comments

Comment! (: