Artwork - Dark Side (first comission!)
Monday, September 10, 2012♥
4:21 PM

Dark Side, Digital Painting, 2012
After a long break of having a lack of inspiration to draw or digital paint anything, someone who had been viewing my display of works on my Facebook page had suddenly expressed interest in having me paint something for him! Delighted by how I had been recognized and presented a opportunity to showcase my work, I took on the commission and did this work.

He did not restrict much but he mentioned about liking the splattered effects from my Geisha work and some of my steampunk related works. Hence in this work I tried to link them up together.

I wanted to create a work such that the subject matter is seemingly connected and joint to the side with dark tendrils creeping and consuming her gradually. At the top, I used a normal brush from photoshop ti create a smoky, inky effect which the 'darkness' dissipated from to make the top look a little heavier to balance the composition.

Being largely dull and cool, the image lacked warm colors which I used as an chance for me to use the speck of red in her eyes as a focal point. The process of drawing the face was not as easy as I had expected. After attempting to draw it by myself a few times, it always tended to look wrong, not worthy of being there. What's more, as a commission, I was more determined to achieve perfection. Hence I sought to look for photographic references which had helped greatly in the forms of the face. It turns out that we sometimes have to stop and look for references instead of stubbornly going ahead blindly.

Overall, I was highly satisfied with this painting and I will print it out soon in A3 and pass it to him.

Labels:

0 comments

Comment! (: