Inspiration/Artwork - Tknk - Geisha
Tuesday, February 14, 2012♥
9:19 PM

Artist : tknk
Link : http://tknk.deviantart.com

Once again another artist from Deviantart. I do not know much information this artist, other than the fact that he/she is Japanese and I personally do think she's a she.

I came across this artist pretty early, say in Secondary Two when I was still developing my digital art skills. She provided a great source of inspiration for me. Even so, I tried as much as possible not to imitate her style too much, and rather, learn from it.

What I consider as a successful artist is when one embodies a distinctive style. This artist has done it.
The human figure - a subject matter that will probably never be unused in the aesthetic world has been portrayed by many artists before. It honestly is not easy to develop a unique personal style that can be easily identified. Even I myself have faced problems and difficulty in terms of developing a unique style of human form that solely belong to me.

This artist, Takenaka had successfully created her own style of drawing humans, it has made her artworks easier to spot and sets it apart from the others.


http://tknk.deviantart.com/art/no-title-124081166?q=gallery%3Atknk%2F11992723&qo=15

In her works, although she may not do detailed modelling as do some artists do, the forms, are still able to be presented well and suits the atmosphere in the artwork. Even the little areas where she does actually shade is strategically well done; such can only be an indication of her experience and capability as an artist. Clearly, she also likes to make use of patterns to give the images some texture and detail, in which case worked very well for her.

http://tknk.deviantart.com/art/courtesan-2-110768434?q=gallery%3Atknk%2F11992723&qo=17

http://tknk.deviantart.com/art/swallowtail-96875662?q=gallery%3Atknk%2F11992723&qo=33

Below are some artworks I have done based on inspiration from tknk. 


Geisha, Digital Painting, 700x1100px, 25 July 2010

Geisha 2, Digital Painting, 1520x2128, 10 December 2010

As seen, I have adopted the subject matter of Geishas, and not surprisingly it seemed that I had an obsession over it during a period of time. Similarly I juxtaposed many elements and trying to create intricate and detailed head pieces and hairdos for the Geishas. However, upon reflection now, the difference in levels is still jarring. It will probably be a long way to go before I can achieve such great standards.

Geisha 3, Pencil, edited with Photoshop, 1576x2299px, 19 July 2010 in pencil, edited in 30 May 2011

This piece however, didn't disappoint me quite so much. Perhaps it was the flexibility provided by the mechanical pencil, I seemed to be able to add even more intricate details easily. Furthermore, I sought to take reference from some Japanese prints paper that my Aunt got from me from Japan for the prints on the Kimono.

All in all, I hope to continue improving my drawing skills not only in terms of digital painting but perhaps I could brush up on my line art as well.

Labels: ,

2 comments

Comment! (: